Bachelor of Arts
Recommended Subjects for BA(GEN/SP)
External Degree Course
|TRMD||Language Translation Methods|
|LISC||Library & Information Science|
|WCCU||Western Classical Culture|
(Of these subjects Hindi, Chinese, Japanese, French, German and Russian languages and Library & Information Science are offered for the B.A. (General) Degree only.)
B.A Degree Courses with Pure and Applied Mathematics.
Candidates can apply for a B.A. degree course with Pure Mathematics, Applied Mathematics and one of the approved Arts subject or Pure Mathematics with approved two Arts subjects.
- Social Statistics
Candidates cannot apply directly for B.A (Special) degree courses. Only successful candidates at the First Examination in Arts are eligible to apply for registration. Course contents of the Special Degree will be issued to candidates who apply for Special Degree courses on successful completion of First Examination in Arts.
Requirements for Registration
Candidates those who wish to follow B.A. (General / Special) degree courses must first to be registered for the First Examination in Arts. Required qualifications are given below.
(a) Candidates should have passed, in one sitting a minimum of three approved subjects at the General Certificate of Education (Advanced Level) Examination conducted by the Department of Examinations, Sri Lanka.
(b) Candidates who do not possess the qualifications stated in section 4.1. (a) above, can apply for registration if they have obtained any one of the following qualifications accepted by the University of Kelaniya:
- Passed the Pracina Intermediate Examination of the Sri Lanka Oriental Languages Society. (Sri Lanka Pracina Bhasopakara Samitiya.) or obtained a pass in the Diploma of the Bandaranaike International Studies Centre in Colombo.
- Passed the Final Examination of the Sri Lanka Law College.
- Obtained a Trained Teacher's Certificate of the Department of Education.
- A degree of a recognised University.
- Passed the Final Examination of the Sri Lanka Library Association.
- Passed the Diploma of the Institute of Workers' Education.
- Associate Membership of the Sri Lanka Institute of Chartered Accountants.
- Membership of the Chartered Institute of Management Accountancy (CIMA).
- Higher National Diploma in Accountancy or Higher National Diploma in Commerce of the Sri Lanka Technical College.
- A Diploma in Business Studies awarded by a former affiliated University or a recognized polytechnical Institute.
- Completed one-year service as a commissioned officer of a permanent unit of the Sri Lanka Army, Navy or Air Force.
- An officer in the Sri Lanka Administrative Service who has passed the examination for recruitment to Class III of the Sri Lanka Administrative Service.
- The two year National Certificate in Business Studies of the Sri Lanka Technical College.
- Diploma in Buddhism of the Sri Lanka Buddhist and Pali University.
- Diploma in Mass Media of the University of Colombo.
- Diploma in Banking of the Sri Lanka Banker's Institute.
- Diploma in Agriculture of the Amparai Hardy Technical College.
- Passed the Foundation Course in Social Studies of the Open University of Sri Lanka.
- Passed the Professional Advanced Certificate course in Library Science & Documentation of the University of Kelaniya.
- Passed the Agriculture Diploma course, Aquinas University.
- Obtained a pass in one of the following Diplomas of the National Business Management Institute:
(a) Diploma in Computer System Design (English Medium)
(b) Higher Diploma in Computer based Information System (English Medium)
(c) Diploma in Business Management (English Medium)
(d) Advanced Diploma in Industrial Engineering (English Medium)
(e) Diploma in Marketing Management (English Medium)
(f) Diploma in Business Management (Sinhala Medium)
(g) Diploma in Personnel Management (English Medium)
(h) Diploma in Personnel Management (Sinhala Medium)
- Diploma of the Institute of Chartered Technicians, having passed all three stages.
Any other qualification acceptable to the Senate of the University of Kelaniya.
Those who wish to apply Geography, Pure Mathematics and Applied Mathematics should pass the relevant subject in the GCE (A/L) Examinations
Examinations are conducted at the end of each year for all external degree courses offered by the University of Kelaniya. Candidates should sit for the relevant First Examination after completion of one-year from the first registration. Accepted time period is given for each degree course but arrangements have been made to grant more opportunities for candidates who fail to complete their degrees within the minimum period. Accordingly, four additional (in addition to minimum three-year period) years for a General Degree and three additional (in addition to minimum four- year period) years for a Special Degree are considered by the University. However, candidates are responsible to complete their degrees during the given maximum period subject to extension of registration for additional years by paying relevant fees. The registration will not extend further by any reason after seven (07) years in respect of a General Degree and seven (07) years in respect of a Special Degree from the date of first registration of a candidate. (The date of commencement of registration being the first day of January of the year in which registration occurs.)
There is no compulsion for external candidates to sit the prescribed examinations every succeeding year, and no objection to their sitting examinations at their convenience but subject to University statutes, laws and regulations pertaining to external examinations. However, it is of importance that candidates not completing their degree within the prescribed period of 3 years or four years, as the case may be, are not entitled to first class or second class honours even if they reach the prescribed standard of proficiency at the relevant examination.
To complete the B.A. (General) degree, a minimum of three years must elapse from registration. A candidate is qualified to sit the First Examination in Arts on completion of one academic year after registration. And only those who pass or are referred at the said examination are eligible to complete their degree by sitting the first and second parts of the Bachelor of Arts (General) degree examinations respectively, in the two subsequent years.
*** Candidates who offer Library & Information Science as a subject must be submitted assignments for each examination with relevant to the papers LISC - 101, LISC - 202 and LISC - 301 respectively. Relevant assignments to be submitted to the External Examinations Branch one month prior to begins the relevant examination and those candidates who fail to submit the assignments are not allowed to sit for the relevant examination.
Prior to registration for a Bachelor of Arts (Special) degree a candidate should have passed the First Examination in Arts and have obtained at least a "B" pass in the relevant subject. Such students are eligible to sit annually and in sequence the examinations of Parts First, Second and Third of the Bachelor of Arts (Special) degree and thereby complete their Special degree.
Examinations pertaining to external degree courses offered by the University are given below for the convenience of candidates.
First Examination in Arts
Bachelor of Arts (General) Degree Part I Examination
Bachelor of Arts (General) Degree Part II Examination
The above examinations will be held at the end of every academic year in regional centers of the island, depending on the number of candidates.
Candidates for External Degree Courses should have completed 18 years of age. A certified copy of the Birth Certificate should be forwarded with the application for registration.
Medium / Language
All external degree examinations are conducted in Sinhala and English, other than language exams.
Determination of Results
- Pass the Examination:
(a) If the Board of Examiners determines that a candidate sitting the examination has on one and the same occasion reached a pass standard, in accordance with relevant examination regulations, in all three subjects he/she has sat, such candidate will be considered as having passed the examination.
(b) Furthermore, a candidate will be considered as having passed the prescribed examination even if he/she has obtained one 'D' grade (one only) for a subject/paper but obtained the minimum standard of marks required to pass the said examination.
(c) In the case of referred and re-referred candidates will be deemed to have passed the examination only on passing that particular subject/paper.
- Refer the Examination:
Candidates who do not obtain a minimum standard of marks required to pass the examination and obtain one 'D' grade in one subject/paper
Having obtained the minimum standard of marks required to pass the examination but obtained 'E' grade in one subject/paper, are considered to have referred the examination.
In the case of the Bachelor of Commerce degree, 'Refer' is considered to be three 'D' and/or 'E' grades.
- Fail the Examination:
Candidates who do not fulfil the necessary requirements to pass or refer examinations are considered to have failed the prescribed examinations.
- Completion of Examination requirements:
It is compulsory that all candidates sitting a Final degree examination must of necessity have, either prior to such examination or in the same year, to have completed all examination requirements, if any, pertaining to prior examinations. Candidates must complete all examination requirements pertaining to their degree courses, in the case of a General degree, within five years and of a Special degree, within seven years from the date of his/her first registration according to examination regulations and subject to their registration being valid. Any candidate who has not completed all necessary requirements pertaining to his/her degree course will not be considered for awarding the degree.
- Suspension / withhold of degree results / Examination results:
* The results of a candidate will be withheld if he/she has not sit for all papers of a particular examination or when the candidate is awaiting disciplinary action in respect of an examination malpractice.
* The degree results of a candidate will be suspended if he/she has not completed all examination requirements (if any) pertaining to his/her degree before the final examination or in the same year, even if he/she passes the final part of the degree examination. Such results will be released when the candidate is able to complete necessary requirements within the period of concession.
- Pass the degree:
If a candidate presenting himself / herself for the relevant parts of the degree examinations has on one and the same occasion been deemed by the Board of Examiners to have attained the pass standard required by examination regulations, will be considered to have passed the relevant Degree examination.
- Award of the degree with a Class:
(a) An external candidate successful at the degree examination in either Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Science / Bachelor of Business Management (General) or Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Commerce (Special) will be considered for awarding the degree with a Second Class (Upper / Lower) or a First Class on the basis of the merits he/she earned.
(b) Every candidate who, if he/she is reading for a General degree reaches within the first three years and at the very first attempt a standard deemed by the Board of Examiners as sufficient according to examination regulations for a First Class Honours degree or for a Second Class Honours (Upper /Lower) degree, as the case may be, will be awarded such an Honours degree accordingly. In the case of candidates reading for a Special degree the same applies except that the stipulated period is four years instead of three.
- Applications for Registration:
All those possessing qualifications approved by the University Senate for registration as external degree candidates of this University are eligible to apply for registration for the selected degree course.
(Relevant instructions pertaining to the selection of subjects, certificates to be forwarded along with the application and other necessary information will be issued with the application form).
- Application for Extension of Registration:
Candidates must request an extension of their registration prior to expiry of existing registration. Relevant application forms are available from the External Examinations Branch on request.
- Application to sit for the Examination:
Applications will be entertained from prospective candidates who possess all the requisite qualifications and who apply on the prescribed form available at the External Examinations Branch of this University. In the event of any candidate applying for two or more different examinations in the same year, separate applications must be submitted in respect of each examination.
- When to apply:
Notices regarding registration and examinations are published in the press annually. In accordance with such notices, candidates are strictly advised to apply for registration only on the prescribed form available from the External Examinations Branch of the University of Kelaniya. It is the responsibility of candidates to collect relevant application forms in time.
- Forwarding Completed Application Forms:
All completed application forms accompanied by necessary documents appended in the order mentioned in the application form / advice form should be forwarded in an envelope, on the top left-hand corner of which the relevant degree / matter should be stated. The envelope should be addressed to the Senior Assistant Registrar / External Examinations, P.O.Box 03, University of Kelaniya, Kelaniya, Sri Lanka.
- Rejection of Applications:
Applications for registration or for sitting examinations may reject for one or more of the following reasons:
- Not completed all necessary requirements.
- Not paying relevant fees.
- Applying on forms prepared by the applicant himself / herself. (Not applying on the prescribed form.)
- Giving wrong information.
- Applying on a form issued in a previous year.
- Not stating requested information clearly and not forwarding relevant documents confirming information stated in the application form.
- Submitting application after the prescribed date.
Admission Forms for Examinations
A minimum of two weeks prior to the commencement of an examination every candidate eligible to sit the relevant examination will be issued an Admission form to that examination. In the event of a candidate not receiving such Admission form two weeks prior to the examination he/she must inform the External Examinations Branch of this University immediately
Sitting the Examination
- Every registered candidate for a particular degree course must sit the relevant end of year examination, subject to the completion of necessary requirements.
- Except under circumstances where express permission has been granted on the basis of acceptable medical grounds, every candidate must present himself / herself for the examination on one and the same occasion in every subject for which he/she has registered.
- In the case of a candidate who has failed to appear for an examination or failed to complete an examination on acceptable medical grounds, the question of granting him/her an Honours Pass will be considered only if he/she repeats the examination in one sitting at the first available opportunity and passes that examination reaching a standard acceptable to the Board of Examiners as being one deserving an Honours Pass in accordance with examination regulations.
- Those candidates who are referred or re-referred must of necessity obtain a pass in the relevant subject in accordance with examination regulations.
Examination Rules and Instructions to Candidates
(a) A candidate when sitting an examination must at all times have in his/her possession his/her Admission Form and his/her Student Record Book. In case the Student Record Book is not produced when called for (at an examination) a student is liable to have his/her candidature cancelled. In the course of an examination if by mischance the Student Record Book is lost, steps must be taken immediately to inform the Senior Assistant Registrar of such loss and have a duplicate procured.
(b) If a candidate falls ill in such a manner as to prevent him/her sitting an examination or a part thereof, the External Examinations Branch must be informed immediately in writing, and a medical certificate acceptable to the Government from either a District Medical Officer or a Specialist Physician or Surgeon of a Government hospital must be submitted within one month of the candidate falling ill. (Medical certificates submitted after one month will be rejected).
*** All external candidates will be issued a detailed instruction sheet along with the examination admission form.
Some examination malpractices are given below:
- Bringing notes, diagrams, articles etc. into the examination hall and having them on one's possession or nearby or using them when examinations are in progress.
- Removing stationery, tables etc. supplied by the University from the examination hall.
- Copying, helping to copy or an attempting to help for such a malpractice.
In the event an examination malpractice is proved, the Senate of the University of Kelaniya under the privileges given by the Universities Act could impose the following punishments:
- Cancellation of candidacy of the relevant paper / subject or the whole examination.
- Suspension / Cancellation of registration.
- Debarring from sitting the examination for a stipulated period of time with or without a fine being imposed.
- Any other punishment meted out by the University Senate.
Publication of Results
(a) Every candidate will be informed personally of examination results when they are published, subject to approval of the University Senate. In addition, steps will be taken to notify the results through a press release.
(b) If a candidate on acceptable medical grounds fails to complete all examination requirements or when punished for examination malpractice, his/her results will be suspended until he/she fulfils all necessary requirements.
Re-scrutiny of Answer Scripts
Under no circumstances for any reason whatever will there be a re-scrutiny of answer scripts of external degree examinations.
- (i) Temporary Certificates:
Once the results of an examination are published candidates are eligible to apply on prescribed forms available at the External Examinations Branch for temporary certificates which will be issued within two weeks of application. These certificates are issued in respect of First Examinations and Final Examinations only. Prescribed forms will be sent by post on receipt of a self-addressed stamped envelope (15x22cm.) at the External Examinations Branch.
- (ii) Degree Certificates:
Degree Certificates will be issued to graduates when the University Senate and the Council approve the final results of the relevant Degree Examination.
All External candidates are required to follow instructions given below when they wish to contact the External Examinations Branch in person, in writing or via telephone. However, a registered external student is permitted to contact the External Examinations Branch any time on an urgent matter.
Direct verbal inquiries:
If you wish to visit the External Examinations Branch in person, please be present on a Wednesday or a Friday from 10.00am to 12 noon or at 1.30 to 3.00pm.
Candidates are advised to make all telephone inquiries on a Wednesday or a Friday between 10.00am to 12 noon or from 1.30 to 3.00pm.
Telephone No: 01 - 914478
General Lines: 01 - 910168, 911391, 911397, 913854/8, 958039, 956188 Ext.:- 265 and 266.
Fax: 01 - 914478
A written inquiry should be sent on a form prepared by candidates themselves according to the model form given in this book. The written inquiry should be forwarded in an envelope, on the top left-hand corner of which the relevant matter should be stated clearly.
Direct all inquiries to the following address
Senior Assistant Registrar /External Examinations
University of Kelaniya
To the attention of External Candidates:
All external candidates are advised to read and understand clearly all information given in this Student Handbook and are kindly requested to keep it safe until completion of their degree courses.
The University of Kelaniya without any prior notification reserves the right to revise information given in this Student Handbook.